May you rejoice in the wife of your youth. Proverbs 5:18
The Gores have split after 40 year. Yep! Tipper and Al are going their separate ways. One daughter had already divorced and the other decided to call it quits as well. It seems that more and more people are splitting their marriage and giving up on the vows they have made. It is a sad state of affairs.
At our recent couples’ retreat I shared the following rules for a lasting marriage. Read them carefully and make your marriage “until death do us part.”
Lessons for couples:
Eight rules for a lasting marriage by James Hinkle
- Always acknowledge the presence of the other spouse.
- Listen before you answer.
- Elevate your spouse above all others.
- Watch for opportunities to complement the other spouse.
- Never entertain thoughts that your marriage is bad.
- Never think that others’ marriage is better than yours.
- Pray for your spouse every day.
- Always be ready do things for your spouse as much as you would do things for others.