This week, in lieu of pew notes, James presented this “12-step program” for overcoming worry in the lives of Christians. This material is adapted from Twelve Steps To Overcoming Worry byArchibald Hart, Overcoming Anxiety, pages 29 and 30.
- Admit that you are a worrier and that you are powerless to overcome worry entirely on your own strength.
- Believe that God through Christ is able to help you overcome worry.
- Turn your life over to God.
- Make a list of everything that worries you.
- Find someone you can talk to about your worries.
- Be willing to “let go” of your worries.
- Trust God to give you the courage you need to take Action and abandon the safety and comfort of your worry.
- Review all your past worries and see how they never came to pass.
- If anything you worried about in the past actually did happen, and was devastating to you, ask yourself what you could have done to avoid it.
- Continue to take personal responsibility for your life.
- Spend a part of each day strengthening your personal relationship with God.
- At the end of each day, take a few moments to review the accomplishments of your day.
Jesus teaches us that worry is useless-it’s baggage that hinders us in our pursuit of God. Listen to this wise counsel and learn to overcome worry!